Please read the following Terms and Conditions of Registration and Event Rules carefully before completing your registration for the the Big Canberra Bike Ride (the BCBR). These Terms and Conditions and Event Rules apply to all participants (as a rider or otherwise) in the BCBR, and in the case of a participant under the age of 18, the parent or legal guardian of the participant.
In consideration of my participation in the BCBR, by selecting the “I accept the terms and conditions above & I have read the Collection Policy before providing my personal information” button, you agree on behalf of yourself and any child to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
1. These Terms and Conditions of entry are designed to enable the BCBR to run smoothly and safely. By applying to participate in the BCBR, the Rider accepts, agrees to and is bound by these Terms and Conditions of entry.
2. The Rider agrees to abide by and be bound by the Event Rules (see below).
3. The Rider accepts these Terms and Conditions of Entry.
4. The Rider may enter on-line by completing the necessary entry form, providing the necessary information and paying the appropriate registration fee.
5. If the Rider is under the age of 18 on the day of the BCBR, a Parent or Guardian of the Rider must accept the conditions of entry on behalf of the Rider.
6. The Rider may elect to take part in the BCBR 120 km course, the 65 km course, the 35 km course or the 5 km course.
7. For the long courses, 120 km or 65 km, the Rider must be 12 years or older on the day of the BCBR to participate in the BCBR. For the 35 km course, riders must be 10 years or older on the day of the BCBR to participate. Pedal Power ACT may grant an exception for very competent riders (after application to Pedal Power ACT by the parent or guardian of the Rider).
8. Pedal Power ACT may, in its absolute discretion and without giving reasons for its decision, accept or refuse any Rider’s application for entry.
9. Riders are to ride human-powered cycles that are legally permitted on ACT roads. That includes two-wheelers, recumbents, tandems, tricycles, unicycles, kick bikes, three-wheeled racing wheelchairs (for riders with disabilities), etc. You may ride electric power-assisted pedal-cycles (pedalecs) that are legally classified as pedal-cycles on ACT roads.
10. Private support vehicles are not permitted on the BCBR courses during the BCBR.
11. The Rider will comply with road rules and use common sense.
12. During the BCBR, the Rider will comply with all traffic and road laws, all directions issued by Police and all instructions given by Pedal Power ACT or any employees, volunteers or officials representing Pedal Power ACT at the BCBR. Failure to do so may result in removal from the BCBR.
13. The Rider must wear an undamaged Australian Standard approved cycling helmet at all times during the BCBR while riding a bicycle. All helmets will be checked prior to the BCBR at event registration and the Rider will not be permitted to participate in the BCBR unless his/her helmet is approved by Pedal Power ACT.
14. The Rider when in the BCBR will ride and otherwise behave in a safe and responsible manner and use common sense at all times.
15. The Rider when in the BCBR will exercise caution on all public roads and other thoroughfares and ride defensively and courteously.
16. The Rider is responsible for ensuring that he/she is adequately and appropriately prepared, both physically and mentally, for the BCBR. If the Rider has any health issues or doubts prior to the BCBR, he/she should immediately seek appropriate medical advice.
17. If the Rider becomes ill or injured during the BCBR, Pedal Power ACT will endeavour to arrange medical transport, usually in an ambulance. Any medical transport will be at the Rider’s expense. (Pedal Power ACT recommends that Riders hold current ambulance service membership and/or health insurance to cover such costs. A valid Pedal Power ACT membership includes public liability and personal accident insurance.)
18. It is the Rider’s responsibility to ensure his or her bike is in good working condition prior to taking part in the BCBR.
19. Online entries close on the date given in BCBR website.
20. On-day entries are accepted at the start of BCBR as given in BCBR website.
21. The Rider may change ride options after registering by advising Pedal Power ACT and paying the difference in the entry fees between the original rides registered for and for the new ride plus an administration fee.
22. The Rider may transfer his or her entry to another person provided Pedal Power ACT is advised at least one week before the event date and the other person completes an entry form and submits it to Pedal Power ACT and pays an administration fee.
23. General refund rules are:
· 75% refund if cancellation occurs on or before February 10, 2019.
· 50% refund if cancellation occurs on or before February 21, 2019.
· No refund if cancellation occurs after February 22, 2019.
Contact Pedal Power ACT if a refund is sought.
24. Communications in relation to BCBR will principally be via email. The Rider will be asked to provide a valid email address during the registration process. If the Rider does not have access to an email address, the Rider should make every effort to read the BCBR website which will be updated as necessary until the date of BCBR.
25. It is the Rider’s responsibility to check the BCBR Website regularly before the BCBR and read all information that is made available on the BCBR website, in emails, newsletters and all other literature concerning the BCBR.
26. Pedal Power ACT reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to:
· refuse to allow the Rider to participate in the BCBR or to remove the Rider from the BCBR for breach of these terms and conditions or for any other reason that it considers appropriate in its absolute discretion;
· change or vary the route of any of the BCBR rides without notice (such change or variation is only likely to occur when fire, flood, road damage or other causes hinder access to the proposed route);
· cancel, postpone, reschedule or change the time or place for the BCBR or any of the BCBR courses for any reason and at any time prior to the commencement of the BCBR.
27. Pedal Power ACT is not responsible for or liable to the Rider for any loss, damage, cost or expense, whether direct, indirect, consequential or otherwise and howsoever or wheresoever incurred by the Rider resulting from any action taken by Pedal Power ACT.
29. The Rider consents to their personal information being shared with the Amy Gillett Foundation for online registration and fundraising only.
30. The Rider acknowledges and agrees that he/she may be photographed or filmed during the BCBR and consents to Pedal Power ACT using the Rider’s picture and likeness contained in any photographs or film for publicising the BCBR and for promoting any future ride or event to be staged by Pedal Power ACT or for other purposes by Pedal Power ACT.
31. The BCBR is an outdoor event and will proceed notwithstanding poor weather conditions on the day of the BCBR Event. Pedal Power ACT is not liable to the Rider for any loss, damage, cost or expense of any kind including, but not limited to, refund of entry fees, in the event of poor weather before or during the BCBR.
32. Pedal Power ACT is not liable to any rider for any loss, damage, cost or expense of any kind, including but not limited to, the refund of the entry fee, including when the rider is denied access to or is removed from the BCBR Event for any reason.
33. ‘Pedal Power ACT’ means Pedal Power ACT Incorporated ABN 98 440 716 821 and includes where appropriate Pedal Power ACT employees, agents, contractors, officials and volunteers.
34. It is a condition of Pedal Power ACT allowing the Rider to participate in BCBR that the Rider agrees to and accepts the following terms and conditions:
· I accept these terms and conditions of entry and have read in full the conditions of entry and insurance guidance and I, and any child of mine who is participating, will comply with the Event Rules set out below.
· I understand that cycling can be a dangerous activity, particularly in traffic or among pedestrians.
· I accept that when riding I am at risk and may suffer or cause injury or property loss or damage. I will take care to avoid injury or damage to others and myself.
· I confirm that I and any children in my care have sufficient competence and experience to participate safely in the BCBR.
· I accept that the liability of Pedal Power ACT is limited as set out in these terms and conditions.
· I waive, to the extent permitted by law, any claim, right or cause of action which I personally, and each child in my care, and my heirs, executors and administrators and those of each child in my care, may have in contract and civil wrongs law, arising from any personal injury, damage or loss arising out of the ride
· I accept that this release from liability operates in contract law in favour of Pedal Power ACT, and all officers, members, volunteers and employees of Pedal Power ACT and all sponsors of the ride or event and operates whether the damage is due to any act or neglect of any of them
· I understand that I should have my own personal liability insurance and accident cover and that current financial members of Pedal Power ACT are covered by Pedal Power ACT’s third party legal liability and personal accident insurance policy as outlined in the insurance guidance
35. If the Rider is under 18 years old, an adult must accompany him or her throughout the ride, unless otherwise agreed in writing by Pedal Power ACT.
36. If the Rider is under 18 years old, a parent or guardian must accept the conditions of entry by clicking ‘I accept the terms and conditions of entry’ and paying with their credit card.